Maria Fhebie Ortil
TIYULAH ITUM or TIYULAH SUG
Another popular Tausug dish that is served in all occasions in the Province of Sulu whether it is Wedding reception, Pag-Islam (circumcision), Pagduwaa Salamat (Thanksgiving), and other occasions, Tiyulah Itum or Tiyulah Sug is always served to the guests.
However, before this Tiyulah Itum is cooked, the Piypis Itum (Pamapa) has to be prepared first, according to Abdulaziz H. Hamsain, author of the Tausug Cookbook.
I. Piypis Itum (Pamapa)
- 1 whole coconut meat
- 1 tablespoon whole black pepper
- 2 pc of 3 inches red ginger (or regular ginger)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 inches turmeric
- 5 pieces red hot chili
Burn coconut meat then grind.
Grind the other ingredients.
Add and mix gradually all the ingredients together.
*Used as a spice for authentic Tausug dishes like; Pyanggang manok, Junay, Tiyula’ Itum, Piyassak, and Siyagul.
II. TIYULAH ITUM OR TIYULAH SUG
1 whole onion chopped
-3 cloves of garlic chopped
-Minced chili (according to taste)
-Black pepper (according to taste)
-1 chicken cube (optional)
-1/2 cup oil
-1 kilo beef/lamb mixed with bones
-2 tbsp piypis itum
-Salt (according to taste)
- Marinate beef with piypis itum with oil for 2-3 hours.
- Stir/saute the garlic, onion, chicken cubes (optional).
- Add the marinated beef.
- Add the lemongrass then lastly the chilies.
- Allow to dry then add water and piypis itum depending on taste.
- Allow to boil for 2-3 hours until meat is tender.
*Best served during any meal of the day.