By ALI G. MACABALANG
Cotabato City — This year’s population and household census for the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) is underway, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
In a statement from the Bureau of Public Information, PSA-BARMM Regional Director Razulden Mangelen said the month-long count was to begin last Sept. 1, even as he appealed to target-households to cooperate for the sake of ascertaining the exact regional population needed to come up with sound basis in planning of government efforts in the region.
Director Mangelen said his office has commissioned some 5,000 enumerators to carry out the house-to-house count across BARMM.
BARMM comprises the provinces of Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, the cities of Lamitan, Marawi and Cotabato, and 63 villages in six towns of North Cotabato.
Mangelen said the enumerators are equipped with personal protective equipment in observance of the standards set for the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic.
BARMM Chief Minister Ahod “Al Haj Murad” Ebrahim encouraged the region’s constituents to cooperate and support the 2020 CPH by answering accurate information.
He said it will be vital in the development of policies and programs for the Bangsamoro.
“Mas makikita natin ang tunay na hitsura ng ating rehiyon at mas (matutugunan) pa natin ang mga pangangailangan nito,” CM Ebrahim was quoted as saying during last week’s virtual conference here.
Mangelen echoed CM Ebrahim’s sentiments, calling for the public’s understanding in the conduct of the census amid the pandemic.
“Mangyari po sana ay maglaan po tayo ng kaunting panahon para sagutin ang kanilang (enumerators) mga tanong,” the BPI quoted Mangelen as saying.
“Layunin nitong makakuha ng tamang datos na siyang gagamitin ng ating pamahalaan, mapa lokal man, national o pribado, sa pagbabalangkas ng mga polisiya at programa para sa ating mga lugar,” Mangelen said of the census. ALI G. MACABALANG