The Best of Halal Home-Cooked Muslim Filipino Dishes
By Maria Fhebie Ortil
Alhamdulillah we have now reached the 15th Digital Edition of the Philippine Muslim Today, and we don’t stop but go on with our advocacy of disseminating to our readers among the Best of Halal Home-Cooked Muslim Filipino Dishes.
This Column is still focused on the Tausug delicacies as one of the mandates of Tausug Chef Abdulaziz H. Hamsain of sharing to this generation up to the next generation the popular Home-Cooked Muslim Filipino dishes particularly the “Utak-Utak” delicacy of the Province of Sulu.
And so with the easy to find ingredients as well as easy to follow procedures narrated by Chef Abdulaziz, may I invite our mothers or housewives to cook this Utak-Utak delicacy while most of us are engaged on “Stay At Home” during this Pandemic.
-2 medium-sized mackerel tuna
-1 medium onion minced
-3 cloves garlic minced
-Thumb size ginger minced
-3 inch turmeric grind
-¼ teaspoon black pepper
-¼ cup grated coconut
-Banana leaves (optional) to form shape
-¼ cup flour
- Boil the mackerel tuna then shred the fish cooked meat.
- Mix the shredded fish, onion, black pepper, garlic, turmeric, and coconut then slightly smash/pound.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and egg then add water (to be used as a coating before frying).
- Using your hand or a banana leaf, form the mixture into a round flat shape or any desired shape.
- Before frying, dip the shaped mixture in the mixed flour and egg then fry.
- Allow to fry till golden or brownish color is reached. .
*Best served at any meal of the day. MARIA FHEBIE ORTIL