Bangsamoro Halal Dish
With Maria Fhebie Ortil
Right here in the BARMM-Cooked Halal Dishes our topic for this week or the 32nd Issue is about the Beef Rendang Maranao version.
Beef Rendang is becoming a popular Maranao dish. This is available in many of the Maranao restaurants especially in the downtown Quiapo in Manila.
However, culinary sources said Beef Rendang originated from Indonesia. However it has reached its way to the Philippines and the Maranao culinary enthusiasts have put up their own version the “Maranao version of Beef Rendang.”
The cooking of Beef Rendang is not that complicated.
Let me explain the easy way to follow the procedures.
1) 1 kilo of beef
3) Fresh turmeric
5) Chili pounded lightly
7) Coconut milk
8) Tamarind juice
1) For the marinade, use a good cut of beef.
2) Add a mixture of spices (palapa, fresh turmeric, lemongrass, powdered chili) and uncooked white rice that has been toasted and grounded.Note: The toasted and grounded rice helps to make the beef tender.
3) The toasted and grounded coconut meat is needed to add more coconut flavor. Toasting the coconut might take 10-20 minutes depending on the heat.
4) After this procedure, heat the coconut oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste and cinnamon.
5) Next add the beef and you have already added earlier the lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
6) Finally add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is cooked.
7) Hence, stir in sugar, coconut milk, cinnamon, and water.
8) Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until most of the liquid has gone and the meat is tender for about 1 hour.
9) Season with salt to taste.
Serving 3-5 persons