Batanes to Tawi-Tawi
With Julmunir I. Jannaral
This week I would like to use my Batanes To Tawi-Tawi Column to share with you a very valuable COVID-19 Pandemic information which I am obliged to share for my readers from Basco, Batanes up to southern most part of the Philippines in Sitangkai, Tawi-Tawi.
This important and timely Pandemic information was shared to me by a fraternal brother in the Alpha Sigma Phi-1845, Secretary Wendel E. Avisado of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM).
As everyone knows it is Secretary Avisado’s department, the DBM that allocates the million of funds needed to buy Vaccines from USA like the Moderna and Pfizer, and from China the Sinovac and Sinopharm.
Secretary Carlito Galvez, Jr., Vaccine Czar is quite busy for he is the only one authorized by President Rodrigo Duterte to do the procurement of these Vaccines from USA and China.
A question is being posed by BBC on what do we know about China’s coronavirus vaccines?
As an answer to this question is that as the global race to produce a Covid-19 vaccine continues, China appears to have made huge strides, with vaccines from two front-runners-Sinovac and Sinopharm, already making their way abroad.
And so how does the Sinovac vaccine work?
The Beijing-based bio pharmaceutical company Sinovac is behind the CoronaVac, an inactivated vaccine.
It works by using killed viral particles to expose the body’s immune system to the virus without risking a serious disease response.
By comparison the Moderna and Pfizer being developed in USA are mRNA vaccines. This means part of the coronavirus’ genetic code is injected into the body, triggering the body to begin making viral proteins, but not the whole virus, which is enough to train the immune system.
According to DBM Secretary Avisado as what he told me, while everyone is telling you how to NOT catch coronavirus, but NO ONE is saying what to do if you got it.
The DBM Secretary said he is thankful to a Nurse in the United Kingdom (UK) for putting this guide together.
He listed some 26 points of sensible advice that came from this Nurse.
A lot of these are recommendations for how to try to avoid getting coronavirus in the first place:
• good hand washing
• personal hygiene
• social distancing
He added that what he has NOT seen a lot of is advice for what happens if you actually got it, which many of us will most likely get it if the proper advice are not followed.
Hence, this friendly neighborhood Nurse listed some of her sensible 26 suggestions:
If you get Covid-19, you basically just want to prepare as though you know you’re going to get a nasty respiratory bug, like bronchitis or pneumonia. You just have the foresight to know it might come your way!
Things to start doing now:
1. Get 20 minutes sun on your entire body (or as much as possible) every day. This will dramatically increase your Vitamin D levels, which improves your immune system.
2. If affordable take a good general supplement, plus 2000mg Vit C a day. Include ZINC, SELENIUM & GLUTATHIONE.
3. Scott’s Emulsion is a great general tonic (cod liver oil).
Things you should actually buy ahead of time:
Cough medicine of choice (check the label and make sure you’re not doubling up on Paracetamol).
6. Throat spray like Andolex.
7. Honey and lemon can work just as well!
8. Vicks vaporub for your chest is also a great suggestion.
9. A humidifier would be a good thing to buy and use in your room when you go to bed overnight. (You can also just turn the shower on hot and sit in the bathroom breathing in the steam).
10. If you have a history of asthma and you have a prescription inhaler, make sure the one you have isn’t expired and refill it/get a new one if necessary.
11. Meals. This is also a good time to meal prep: make a big batch of your favorite soup to freeze and have on hand.
12. Hydrate hydrate, hydrate! Stock up on whatever your favorite clear fluids are to drink, though tap water is fine you may appreciate some variety!
13. For symptom management and a fever over 38°c take Paracetamol rather than Ibuprofen.
14. Rest lots You should not be leaving your house! Even if you are feeling better you may will still be infectious for fourteen days and older people and those with existing health conditions should be avoided!
15. Wear gloves and a mask to avoid contaminating others in your house.
16. Isolate in your bedroom if not living alone, ask friends and family to leave supplies outside to avoid contact.
17. Sanitize your bed linen and clothes frequently by washing and clean your bathroom with recommended sanitizers.
18. You DO NOT NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL unless you are having trouble breathing or your fever is very high (over 39°C) and unmanaged with meds.
19. 90% of healthy adult cases thus far have been managed at home with basic rest/hydration/over-the-counter meds.
20. Pre-existing risks. If you have a pre-existing lung condition (COPD, emphysema, lung cancer) or are on immunosuppressants, now is a great time to talk to your Doctor or specialist about what they would like you to do if you get sick.
21. Children. One major relief to you parents is that kids do VERY well with coronavirus, they usually bounce back in a few days (but they will still be infectious). Just use pediatric dosing .
22. Be calm and prepare rationally and everything will be fine. This is to inform us all that the pH for corona virus varies from 5.5 to 8.5.
23. All we need to do, to beat corona virus, we need to take more of an alkaline foods that are above the above pH level of the Virus.
Some of which are:
24. Lemon – 9.9pH
Avocado – 15.6pH
Garlic – 13.2pH –
Mango – 8.7pH
Dandelion – 22.7pH
Orange – 9.2pH
25. How do you know you have coronavirus?
1. Itching in the throat
2. Dry throat
3. Dry cough
4. High temperature
5. Shortness of breath
6. Loss of sense of taste & smell
7. Covid toes – toes turning blue/black
26. So when you notice these things quickly take warm water with lemon and drink.
Finally, when do you get the 2nd Covid shot?
You should get your 2nd shot: for the Pfizer-BioNTech 3 weeks (or 21 days) after your first shot; for the Moderna 1 month (or 28 days) after your first shot.
Now, we hope to give you the time frame in the next issue as to when a person should get the 2nd Covid shot in the case of Sinovac and Sinopharm.
After reading the Batanes To Tawi-Tawi, please do not keep this information to yourself only. Pass it to all your family and friends.
For your comments/suggestions, please send your email to email@example.com