MILG, MPW to build 2 barangay halls, inaugurate Covid-19 isolation facility in Jolo

By Ali G. Macabalang

Minister Naguib Sinarimbo in a huddle with a Bureau of Fire Protection official at one of shelter camps set up for victims in the Feb. 3, 2020 conflagration in three Jolo barangays. (File photo)

COTABATO CITY

Bangsamoro regional officials were set to travel today (Monday) to Sulu for official undertakings including groundbreaking for construction of two modern barangay halls and a turnover of the completed Coronavirus patients isolation facility in Jolo town.

The two barangay halls, allocated with P3.6-million budget each, will be constructed in the villages ravaged by a big fire on Feb. 3, 2020 that prompted Bangsamoro Chief Minister Ahdo “Hadji Murad” Ebrahim to dispatch on Feb. 4 a relief and medical mission led by Interior and Local Government Minister Naguib Sinarimbo.   

Sinarimbo and workers of the Rapid Emergency Action on Disaster Incidence (READI) team brought 3,000 packages relief goods and foods that would last for two-week consumption among 1,500 fire-displaced families, a past report from READI media relations head Myrna Jo Henry said.

The fire gutted hundreds of houses made of light materials and other structures at Barangays Chinese Pier, Takut-Takut and Tulay in Jolo. Two of the barangays will host the proposed barangays halls set for construction kick-off today, Sinarimbo told the Philippine Muslim Today news over the phone Sunday night.

Sinarimbo said he and Public Works Minister Eduard Guerra would be leading the Bangsamoro delegation today to inaugurate and turn over also the 100-bed capacity COVID-19 isolation facility that underwent construction last year by a local firm contracted by the Ministry of Public Works.

He said Minister Guerra was also set to lead inaugural ceremonies for similar COVID-19 isolation facilities in Taw-Tawi and Basilan of the same bed capacity.

Earlier reports said the local government units of the three island provinces, all components of the Bangasamoro autonomous region, faced difficulty in accommodation in public hospitals and makeshift facilities for local stranded persons and deported Filipino migrants from Malaysia recorded at 15,184 individuals as of July 2020.

Sources from the offices of Sulu Governor Sakur Tan and Jolo Mayor Jayson Kerkhar Tan welcomed the proposed two barangay halls as well as the completed construction of the 100-capacity isolation center.

Sinarimbo said they wished to find a chance for a personal meeting with Governor Tan and his allied leaders about the snowballing clamor for an extension in the term of the Bagnsamoro Transition Authority (BTA), the interim governing body of the new autonomous region. AGM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s