Bangsamoro Halal Dish
with Maria Fhebie Ortil
WHAT IS REALLY BAWLU?
Bawlu is a traditional Tausug egg cake. They are dainty, sweet, eggy and must-have for festive seasons. Easy and fail-proof Bawlu recipe for home bakers.
A favorite among many Bangsamoro people of all tribes and ages, Bawlu is usually baked during the festive seasons of Hari Raya or during weddings.
These sweet and eggy cakes go well with coffee. They are always a crowd-pleaser during the festive seasons.
A few bawlu and a cup of coffee is a surefire way to greet your guests during festivities.
Bawlu comes in different shapes, but the popular ones are flower shaped. They are made using a traditional mold.
The mold comes in different sizes: big and small.
The small flower mold are delicious and beautiful.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS RECIPE?
If you wish to try making Bawlu at home, I recommend the following recipes.
As I have said Bawlu is a traditional Bangsamoro egg cake especially for the Tausug in Sulu. They are dainty, sweet, eggy and must-have for festive seasons. PREP TIME10 minutesCOOK TIME15 minutes TOTAL 25 MINUTES
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil or unsalted butter (melted)
- Preheat oven at 375°F (190°C). Grease the Bawlu mold with some oil. Preheat the mold in the oven. Remove from the oven, keep warm before using.
- Beat the eggs with an electric hand-mixer until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to beat until the sugar is well dissolved and the mixture becomes sticky.
- Add in the vanilla extract and fold in the flour gradually. Add the cooking oil or butter. Continue to beat the batter with the hand-mixer until well-blended.
- Fill the mold with the batter, about 90% full. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the cake from the mold and cool on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- NOTES; Traditional Bawlu recipe doesn’t call for cooking oil or butter, but I find them too dry. Adding the cooking oil or butter makes them come off the mold easily.
BAWLU, a traditional egg cake usually a mainstay in most celebrations in the Province of Sulu.