BANGSAMORO HALAL DISH
with Maria Fhebie Ortil
Assalamu Alaykum! Well, with this Volume 2, Number 11 of the Philippine Muslim Today, I would like to feature another Halal food, which is the Crispy Chicken Wontons.
Wontons are little morsels of ground meat wrapped in a wheat-based wrapper.
These chicken wontons are filled with ground chicken, shrimp, and then deep-fried to golden perfection. Every bite is bursting with flavors. They can be eaten alone or with some dipping sauce.
1/2 lb. (0.2 kg) ground chicken
1/4 lb. (0.1 kg) shrimp, chopped into small pieces
1 stalk scallion, cut into rings
1/2 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 dash fish sauce (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 dashes ground white pepper
12 pieces wonton wrappers
water, for sealing
oil, for deep frying
3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1 pinch white sesame seeds
- In a bowl, mix the ground chicken, shrimp, scallion and cornstarch until well combined.
- Add the salt, fish sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Wrap the wontons with the wonton wrappers by placing a piece of the wonton wrapper on your palm.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of the filling in the middle of the wrapper.
- Dip your index finger into some water and trace it on the outer edges of the wonton wrapper.
- Fold and pinch the edges of the wonton wrapper up and seal the wonton tight so there is no opening at the top and the wonton is securely enclosed.
- Heat up some cooking oil in a wok or frying pan and deep fry the wontons until golden brown.
- Serve hot with sweet chili sauce or eat plain. (MFO)